ForumCategory: GeneralWhere does the term 420 come from?
Jasper Dillard asked 2 weeks ago

What does 420 mean?

1 Answers

Best Answer

Weed List Staff answered 2 weeks ago

Here is an exerpt from our blog on this topic:

https://weedlist.shop/forum/where-does-the-term-420-come-from/

While researching ‘420’ I found all sorts of different stories. Many people think that 420 is the police code for smoking in progress (apparently not true anywhere) but every source I found was quick to dismiss that idea. Most sources mention births and deaths of famous celebrities. While April the 20th is Hitler’s birthday it is not at all the origin of the ‘stoner holiday’. I read that many people think 4/20 is the date Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, or perhaps Janice Joplin died, but that isn’t true for any of them. Other sources reference the cannabis plant itself, saying they believe 4/20 is the ideal date for planting (not proven), or that 420 is the number of compounds found in the plant (the number is generally stated to be 300-400 depending on the plant). I read one idea that suggested that maybe 4:20 is the optimum time of day for the body to absorb the most beneficial amounts of the cannabinoids it needs to achieve inner balance (seems a little far-fetched, even for me).